The Cape truly shows off in winter. Even this year’s record-breaking rainfall hasn’t put a damper on things, with visitors falling in love with the Winelands’ lush landscapes, mountains and waterfalls. Forget drab, dreary or muted, this is our green season – an incredible time of year offering everything you need to disconnect and reset your senses.
Fancy a green season getaway? Here’s just a taste of what to expect in the Heart of the Helderberg.
Taste the Heart of the Helderberg
Every great cook knows it takes six flavour elements (sweet, sour, salty, bitter, umami, and the recently introduced kokumi) to make a mouthwatering meal. Inspired by this notion, we’ve curated six tasting experiences in the Heart of the Helderberg: Premium Range Wine Tasting and Cellar & Vineyard Tour at Vergelegen: Savour the elegance of Vergelegen premium wines, wander through the fragrant vineyards, and explore the secrets of their cellars, where time has perfected the art of winemaking.
- Olive Oil & Wine Tasting at Morgenster Estate: Enjoy a unique olive oil and wine at Morgenster Estate (there’s a reason why their founder, Giulio Bertrand, is known as the ‘Father of Olive Oil’!)
- Premium Wine Tasting at Lourensford: Discover Lourensford’s award-winning wine with a creative menu of tastings (including a nougat, Belgian chocolate and Turkish Delight wine pairing).
- Coffee Tasting at the Coffee Roasting Company at Lourensford: Coffee is to winter like a passport is to wanderlust – and Lourensford has something special for all coffee connoisseurs.
- Beer Tasting at the ABRU Craft Brewery at Lourensford: The perfect mix of tradition and innovation, ABRU’s beers are as crisp and cool as the weather outside.
- Artisan Gin Tasting at Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa: Taste the distinct botanical blends and intricate flavours of handcrafted gins, specially selected for your pleasure!
The offer is available at R655 per person for all six tastings, or at a half option of R350, where you can select your top three.
Indulge your Senses
Cold outside? Worry not. We’ve put together the perfect package for those in need of a spoil. Delight in a luxurious package that includes a full English breakfast, cocktails at Magnolia, and a 7-course fine dining dinner at Stefan’s. Complement your experience with three tastings from the Heart of the Helderberg selection. Valid for a minimum three-night stay.
Learn more about the offer here..
Self-care at Lurra Spa
If it feels as though it’s been a long winter, you’ll find solace at the Lurra Spa (while you restore a much-needed glow!). Relax with a treatment (or five) of your choice after a day spent strolling through Vergelegen’s gardens or soaking up the local art scene. Warm up and wind down alongside your partner with a couples’ massage or relax in our indoor heated pool. Or how about a manicure, pedicure, or a foot treatment to get your feet sandal-ready for spring?
Click here to view our spa specials.
Erinvale Estate Hotel and Spa’s itinerary for active guests
You can’t appreciate the green season in all its glory unless you’ve spent a little time outside. For those seeking an active, outdoorsy retreat, we’ve crafted an itinerary to tick all the boxes – and ahhh, the views!
Here are a few experiences to look forward to:
- Explore Vergelegen’s Gardens: The gardens at Vergelegen Wine Estate are legendary, and you don’t need to wait until summer to enjoy them! In fact, you can only experience the beauty of the Camellia Garden of Excellence in winter – making it a must-do, especially as it is one of only 39 such gardens in the world, and the only one in Africa.
- Discover Lourensford Wine Estate: Grab a freshly brewed cup of coffee at the Coffee Roastery or explore Wunderkind’s fun activities for the little ones. For those with a penchant for craft beers, the lively Food Market beckons.
- Play a Round of Golf: Perfect your swing at the neighbouring Gary Player-designed Erinvale Golf Course.
- Hike in the Helderberg Nature Reserve: Don’t let the chill deter you from an early morning hike in this stunning nature reserve, carpeted with proteas, fynbos, and greenery. There are easy walks ideal for families with younger kids, as well as challenging trails if you’re keen to work for your breakfast.
- Stroll along Strand Beach: Kick off your shoes and sink your toes into the golden sand of Strand Beach – if the skies are clear, you’ll enjoy views across the Cape Peninsula.
View the full itinerary here.
Come and revel in this winter wonderland with a stay at Erinvale Estate Hotel & Spa. Oh-so-luxurious experiences await in the Heart of the Helderberg, resetting your senses and giving you that second wind you need to thrive in the second half of 2023.